Volume Blog – 2018 Summary

by Graham Dodd on 04/02/2019

Our door drop volume monitor in Cheshunt reveals an average weekly receipt in 2018 of 5.5 items, a drop from 2017’s 6.3, itself a drop from 7.3 in 2016.

That has surprised us in comparison to our trading record as a company, which has seen us continue our year on year growth over that period, planning and distributing more items than ever for our clients (though our client list is ever expanding!).

In truth the averages are still in excess of the Direct Marketing Association’s industry statistics; 2016 : 4.1 and 2017 : 4, with 2018 data currently being gathered from members, but a forecast would be that is unlikely to exceed 4.

But they are the facts, so we dug a little deeper.

Royal Mail door to door is widely, and rightly, regarded as the UK’s largest final mile supplier, so they should have the largest market share.

The DMA statistics don’t delve that far, but our view of c. 4 items a week 2016 – 18, would be 3 items per week would be Royal Mail and the other a solus/shared or free newspaper drop.

By comparison in Cheshunt, Royal Mail’s figures were 2016 : 2.4, 2017 : 1.7 and 2018 : 1.6.

There will be postal sectors across the UK where the average is higher or lower of course.

Over this 3 year period free newspapers have ceased in our part of the postal sector, but they only contributed 20 items in 2016 and 7 in 2017 anyway, so that does not have a huge effect on the statistics.

Local solus/shared drops are of course the other major contributor with a weekly average of 4.2 items in 2016, increasing to 4.5 in 2017, but falling in 2018 to 3.5.

Perhaps it’s another effect of Brexit or (unfounded) concerns over GDPR, but at a time when many of our clients are increasing the frequency and in some cases volume of the items dropped, these are conflicting signals.

In terms of business sectors, retail was the largest and contributed almost exactly 46% of all items received.

Charities were the next largest area with 19% share, but, only 10% of those items received were “paper”, with the remaining 90% being clothes collection bags – many illegal.

Local businesses contributed 16% of the overall total and then direct response items a further 15%.

The remaining 4% were public sector, f.m.c.g. and political leaflets.

Door drops remain an intrusive, responsive, affordable and perhaps above all accountable medium.

If they not worked well or even at all for you and your use of the medium has declined in recent years, let’s have a chat.

Our client numbers are growing and many of our clients are increasing their volumes and we’d be delighted at any opportunity of adding you to that success story.

This article was written by...

– who has written 57 posts on Letterbox Consultancy for Door Drop Marketing.

Graham Dodd is the founder of The Letterbox Consultancy - he has over 40 years of experience in the door drop industry and remains at the forefront of innovation in the business.

Contact the author

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: