Results of our ‘industry volumes’ poll

by Graham Dodd on 21/06/2012

Many of you will know about, and some of you have participated in, our recent poll concerning door drop weekly volumes.

The catalyst for our poll was a belief that the most recent historical data, which suggests that each UK letterbox receives an average of 6 items per week, is on the low side.

New DMA data reflecting 2011 volumes has been promised any time now, so it will be interesting to see how that compares with our result.

The poll was completed by delegates at our May door drop seminar (which gave it a Midlands and North flavour), anyone who clicked the link from my email trail, subscribers to our newsletter and respondents via a series of LinkedIn Group postings, which could come from anywhere in the UK.

From the start, online votes were predictably cast spasmodically, apart from a couple of occasions when specific LinkedIn Group postings generated a sudden flurry of votes.

Interestingly, on both of those occasions, all the votes cast were the same answer and given the Groups involved, we do wonder whether there was an element of tactical voting and/or industrial espionage!

Either way, those votes did not overly influence the result.

Which was that 64.91% of people believe they receive more than 6 items per week, with the remaining 35.09% saying ‘no’.

A pretty conclusive result.

We ran the poll for nearly 2 months and in that time I have religiously monitored everything that came through my letterbox, and my weekly average is 12.

That was pretty regularly split as 3 or 4 from Royal Mail, 2 or 3 via free newspapers, at least 1 charity bag (!), with the remainder on a solus or shared basis (on behalf of local companies) pretty much every day of the week, including weekends.

My record weekly receipt was 18.

Now the industry has long acknowledged the existence of “golden areas” – sectors that are popular with a wide range of clients, commonly in close proximity to retail parks, probably with a reasonable level of affluence and perhaps with a strong record in terms of response/redemption and some people may suggest that EN8 9 fits that category – though the Royal Mail door to door price bands don’t agree with that theory.

Conversely, some people may argue that whilst I may receive larger than average volumes, the more rural areas of the UK, most likely not to receive a free newspaper, will only receive the historical weekly average, or less.

There may be some truth in that, but are they not precisely the areas particularly popular with users of Royal Mail door to door and would not local advertisers still need to promote their services through solus/shared distributions if Royal Mail door drops were the only alternative?

So if they potentially receive close to 6 items per week and perhaps more urban areas receive more, then the national average will be more as the poll suggests?

I’ve also never quite seen EN8 9 as a golden area.

Yes I’m close to a retail park, but not a large one and the only store in the park I receive regular leaflets from is Tesco – no surprise in Cheshunt of course!

Okay much of the sector could be described as reasonably affluent I suppose (my part of course!), but there is also a large Council estate in the sector (but perhaps that helps the affluence!?).

But its really the amount of “local” business which drives the volume up on a consistent basis and I’m interested in what other people think about the areas in which they live?

In your experience, do you receive more local leaflets than “national” clients?

Take a minute or two to post a comment on the website or email me direct and let me know what you think? We will keep you updated on peoples’ thoughts

Thanks for taking part.

We intend to run more door drop polls in the future and look forward to your future co-operation.

This article was written by...

– who has written 28 posts on Letterbox Consultancy for Door Drop Marketing.

Graham Dodd is the founder of The Letterbox Consultancy - he has over 40 years of experience in the door drop industry and remains at the forefront of innovation in the business.

Contact the author

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: